Let’s just be honest. The horror stories of painful laser hair removal (LHR) are out there online. If we’re being honest again, the claims that laser hair removal hurts really are exaggerated. It is absolutely possible for you to have painless laser hair removal in Arlington, VA, and here’s how you do it!
6 Ways to Prepare your Skin for Painless Laser hair Removal in Arlington
Laser hair removal in Arlington, VA, isn’t just something you should walk off the street into a med spa and do spontaneously. You need to prepare. While pain is certainly subjective and everyone is different, taking these steps will help you get ahead of the pain game in a big way:
- Stay hydrated. Presumably you’re taking in the necessary amount of water each day to stay healthy and hydrated. If not, get into the habit well before your laser appointment. Water will help your body flush out toxins that can increase pain.
- If you’re a woman, plan your LHR around your menstrual cycle. During your period, pain receptors are more active and what might not hurt before your period might hurt more during laser treatment.
- Shave before your appointment. Seems a little silly to have to shave when the very treatment you’re getting removes hair, but shaving makes it a lot easier for the laser to do its job.
- An over-the-counter (OTC) pain reliever can help. Taking an OTC ibuprofen at least 30 minutes before treatment may provide the necessary relief, but check with your healthcare professional to be sure.
- Ask for a numbing cream. This goes a long way toward experiencing painless laser hair removal in Arlington, Virginia. Your LHR specialist wants to make you as comfortable as possible, so be sure to speak with them about the numbing cream.
- For four to six weeks before your appointment, do the following: Stay out of the sun, avoid tanning beds, and skip all forms of hair removal other than shaving. This includes waxing, epilating, and threading.
Your Aftercare is Important Too!
You should wear loose fitting clothing to your appointment, as tight clothes will rub and possibly aggravate your skin. Always wear sunscreen with an SPF of 30 or higher, and avoid prolonged exposure to the sun.
You’ll also want to ice the treatment area. This helps reduce pain and swelling. Patients report a type of “sunburn” sensation after laser hair removal, and ice can alleviate that feeling.
Think you’ll be hitting the gym after laser hair removal? Think again. Excessive sweating isn’t good for your skin afterward. So, for a few days after LHR skip strenuous activity, and if you must exercise, keep it light to avoid sweating.
You might notice some itching after your LHR treatment. As tempting as it might be to scratch, don’t. While it might relieve itching temporarily, it can also damage your sensitive skin. While you’re picking up OTC pain reliever, grab some aloe vera gel as well. Not only will aloe vera keep your skin moisturized, but it can also speed up healing.
Take Time for Your Consultation
Your laser hair removal specialist will have all the inside information on how you can have painless LHR. As long as you carefully follow the advice given to you during your consultation, you’re golden!
Choose Ultra Body Sculpt or Your Painless Laser Hair Removal in Arlington, Virginia!
If you’re ready to meet with one of our expert laser hair removal specialists, why wait to schedule your consultation? Put the razors down and the wax away! Instead, call us at 703-988-2000 to learn more about how to have painless laser hair removal in Arlington, VA, and to have a treatment plan created just for you! It’s time for you to join our family of satisfied clients!